Monday, July 5, 2010

Businessman killed in Gunfight

One more 'Story'!

By Bangladesh Media; The Daily New Age reports a businessman was killed by the police in a ‘gunfight’ in the capital early Thursday and his friend was critically injured. The family of the deceased said he had been picked up by police from his house early Tuesday. Thursday’s incidents took to 199 the total number of extrajudicial killing in incidents such as ‘crossfire’, ‘encounter’ or ‘gunfight’ after January 6, 2009 when the Awami League-led government assumed office. 

Forty-four people have so far been killed in such incidents since the High Court on December 14, 2009 asked the authorities not to kill any more people in ‘crossfire’ or ‘encounter’ until it hears a rule it issued suo moto on the government in connection with extrajudicial killing. 

The deceased, Mizanur Rahman, 35, who had a sound systems business, lived with his family at Nayanagar of Baridhara in the capital. The injured, Manik, 30, is now fighting for life in Dhaka Medical College Hospital. The Gulshan police said Mizan had been killed in a ‘gunfight’ between the police and suspected muggers early in the day at Gulshan. The Gulshan police officer-in-charge, Kamal Uddin, said they started patrol as a group of people were planning to commit crimes on Road 42 at Gulshan. He said they had suspected a car about 1.30am on Thursday and waved it to pull over. As the car crossed them past, they chased it. When the car was on Road 43, six people got down off it and fired into the police, forcing them to retaliate, Kamal said.   The police detained four people, Zaman, Aslam, Mizan and Manik. Mizan and Manik were injured.
The police officer said the two had been admitted to Dhaka Medical College Hospital where Mizan died in the morning. The officer-in-charge said they had seized a pistol and four bullets from the spot. 

Mizan’s wife Taslima Begum, however, alleged the plainclothesmen, led by Gulshan police subinspector Anisur Rahman, had picked him up from their house early Tuesday on charges of car lifting. Taslima said Anisur on Tuesday morning had demanded Tk 1 lakh for the release of her husband and the deal was settled at Tk 10,000 finally. Taslima said she had visited her husband at the police station four times on Tuesday and Wednesday. Taslima said she had met her husband for last on Wednesday midnight when her husband told her to go to court on Thursday morning and get a good lawyer to move his bail petition. 

The injured Manik, who is a driver by profession, said the police had arrested them with the help of Zaman and Aslam on Tuesday. ‘The police about 12:15am on Thursday took me and Mizan blindfolded, saying they would conduct an operation. Later they shot us and I found myself in the DMCH later at 3:00am,’ said Manik, who was wounded in the right leg.

The Gulshan police officer-in-charge brushed aside all the allegations levelled against Anisur and other staff of the police station in the connection. The state minister for home, Shamsul Haque Tuku, who visited the DMCH, said the government would investigate the matter. ‘Any policemen found guilty will be punished.’

No comments:

Post a Comment